Monday, June 10, 2013

Queen Of Ska and still wearing the crown well. 
My love affair with this ska band of legend goes way back to the very first appearance they made in Hollywood in 1979. They played the Whisky two nights in a row and had a record signing at Tower Records and I was there for all of it. I have a woman named Christine to thank for all that, she was my girlfriend at the time and she literally dragged me to all the aforementioned events. By the time the two days were over with, I was hooked just like she was. I have watched this band go through many phases and creative changes through the years but have stuck with them. Happily I watched them launch a major comeback just this past year with a new album, their first US tour in decades, climaxing in a first-time ever appearance for the band at Coachella. Nice one lads! 
This is one of their more obscure albums but also a personal favorite of mine. They have quite a few live albums in their catalog and this captures them on tour in 1996 struggling to keep things alive but still sounding great. Here are a few sample tracks to listen to but please visit this Amazon link and buy the album. You can get a used copy for as little as 92 cents, how cool is that!? And also please visit their official site to support the artist. 

WET DREAM

CALIFORNIA SCREAMING

And finally, you can check out this video of them at Coachella in April. 
They were considered one of the surprise hits!


Blog Archive

Popular Posts